Children's Teeth Starting Well
"Ms Karimi has been my childrens' dentist since they were born, and they all love her and she has always made them feel looked after and reassured."
As seen on Google Reviews
As dental professionals we believe in preventive dental care and encourage our patients to bring their children to the practice from an early age. NHS Dentist has been the chosen dental practice in the borough of Hammersmith & Fulham to lead on a new initiative from NHS England, Starting Well, this is part of the Smile4life programme. The Starting Well initiative aims to reduce oral health inequalities and improve oral health in children under the age of five years.
Regular check-ups from a young age will ensure children don’t suffer from untreated dental decay with devastating effects to their growing dentition. There are a number of preventive treatments that our team can provide for children:
1) Fluoride applications are a safe and effective way to safeguard your child’s growing teeth from developing decay. The fluoride is painted onto the surface of the teeth on all children between 3- 16 years of age, helping to mineralise them.
2) Tooth-coloured fissure sealants are applied to the biting surfaces of children's teeth to prevent decay.
3) Studies have shown that the younger your child is when attending their first dental appointment, even if just for a check-up, the more likely they are to have a positive experience and to grow up unafraid of the dentist. Our team will take special care of your child to make them feel safe and cared for.
4) Treating a child from a young age also allows the dentist to spot early signs of underbites, cross bites or overbites developing. As with most dental problems, the sooner you can start to treat it, the quicker it can be resolved.
Prevention is always better than cure, so call the practice today to make an appointment for your child.
* Healthy teeth and gums for life.
* Reduced risk of developing tooth decay and reduced need for fillings.
* No fears or phobias of the dentist.
Fluoride Treatment For Children
Fluoride varnish is applied to teeth by your dentist to help prevent decay. It is painted on to the surface of the teeth and contains high levels of fluoride, which strengthen the tooth’s enamel and help to make it more resistant to decay.
Fluoride varnish can be used on both baby and adult teeth and needs to be applied every six months. At our practice we recommend children from the age of three years upwards should have treatment with fluoride varnish to help keep their teeth strong and healthy. Most parents find that it is most convenient to have children treated with fluoride varnish at their six-monthly dental check-ups.
Before treatment starts, your dentist will carry out a thorough assessment of the inside and outside of your child’s mouth to check they are suitable for treatment. If your child has a cold or flu, you may be asked to bring them back to receive treatment when they are better. If they have severe decay and the pulp of the tooth is exposed, this may have to be treated first.
Here’s how it works:
1) Your child’s dentist will give your child safety goggles and a bib and tell them what they are going to do.
2) They will carefully examine the inside and outside of your child’s mouth to check for any abnormalities, illnesses or decay that may mean treatment should be postponed.
3) The dentist will then carefully paint the varnish on to your child’s teeth, starting at the back and working forward.
4) Your child should not eat or drink for at least 30 minutes after application.
* Strengthens tooth enamel, helping to prevent decay and thus fillings or tooth loss.
* Works on both adult and baby teeth.
* Helps give your child positive early experiences of visiting the dentist and helps them learn good oral healthcare.
For further information and children's education visit the sites below: